The Auditor is Chief Financial Officer of the county. It is the Auditor's responsibility to account for the millions of dollars received each year and to issue payment of obligations, including the distribution of tax dollars to local governments and agencies. The Auditor also distributes motor vehicle license fees, gasoline tax, hotel lodging tax, fines, and local government funds. The Auditor's Finance Division consists of two departments (Accounting and Payroll) and their duties include:

  • Processing vendor payments
  • Maintaining vendor files
  • Balancing with County Treasurer
  • Processing of required tax filings
  • Processing payroll checks
  • Administering health insurance enrollment
  • Maintaining employee tax, voluntary deductions, and retirement records
  • Preparing financial reporting
To better serve the taxpayers, the Auditor's Finance Department updated its method of providing financial reporting. The Auditor's Annual Financial Report (AAFR) provides the following information:

  • Real estate tax collections
  • Voted levy funds for social service agencies
  • Property tax distributions
  • Sales tax
  • Distribution of state funds, including local government funds and public library funds
  • County debt
Does Butler County have an income/employer withholding tax?
No, Butler County does not have an income/employment withholding tax.
I worked for Butler County and need to get my Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) money. How do I do that?
Butler County does not have access to any OPERS employee accounts. Please contact OPERS member services at 866-673-7748.
I have an employee working in Ohio. How do I know what employer withholding taxes I am required to remit?
The State of Ohio has a program called 'The Finder' that will provide this information.
I'm looking for information on the Butler County annex tax.
This is a City of Hamilton tax. Please contact the city’s tax department at 513-785-7400 for more information.
Does my school district have an income tax? If so, how much is it and what is the school district number?
This information can easily be found using the Ohio Department of Taxation’s Finder tool
As an employer how do I remit or setup income/employer withholding taxes for my employees in Ohio?
  • Cities and Villages – Most cities and villages do have an income tax withholding requirement for employers. Please contact each city/village directly to setup any income tax reporting.
  • School District and Ohio Income Tax – Please see the Ohio Department of Taxation's website for more information.
  • Townships – Townships do not have income tax; however, many townships have JEDDS or other forms of taxation an employer may be required to withhold. Please contact each township directly for further information.
I received a check from Butler County and I don't know that it is for. Whom do I contact?
Please contact the Auditor's Finance Division at 513-887-3126 or by email.