Finance FAQ

Listed below are answers to our most common questions. 
Where can I find detailed information on excess proceeds from a foreclosure?

Once a home is sold via a Sheriff's Sale, the courts will determine how the dollars should be distributed. Court order information is maintained by the Clerk of Courts and can be searched on their website.

Does Butler County have an income/employer withholding tax?

No, Butler County does not have an income/employer withholding tax.

I worked for Butler County and need to get my Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) money. How do I do that?

Butler County does not have access to any OPERS employee accounts. Please contact OPERS member services at 866-673-7748.

I have an employee working in Ohio. How do I know what employer withholding taxes I am required to remit?

The State of Ohio has an online tool called 'The Finder' that will provide this information.

Does my school district have an income tax? If so, how much is it and what is the school district number?

This information can be found using the Ohio Department of Taxation’s Finder tool

As an employer how do I remit or setup income/employer withholding taxes for my employees in Ohio? 
  • Cities and Villages – Most cities and villages do have an income tax withholding requirement for employers. Please contact each city/village directly to setup any income tax reporting.
  • School District and Ohio Income Tax – Please see the Ohio Department of Taxation's website for more information.
  • Townships – Townships do not have income tax; however, many of them have JEDDS or other forms of taxation an employer may be required to withhold. Please contact each township directly for further information.
I received a check from Butler County and I don’t know what it's for. Whom do I contact?

Please contact the Auditor's Finance Division at 513-887-3126 or by email.