Listed below are answers to our most common questions. 
Real Estate
How do I find out information on my HOA?

The best contact for HOA documents would be the Recorder’s Office

Does the income limitation for Homestead include Social Security?

Generally, Social Security benefits do not count as income for the Homestead Exemption.  On the Ohio 1040 Form, we look at line 3 (Ohio adjusted gross income) and add Line 11 (business income).

Is there a list of Butler County subdivisions by name?

Your best option to look for subdivision names would be on the Recorder's website

There is a section on their real estate search that gives a drop down of all subdivision names in a township that is located in Butler County.

By statute, if a property resides in a city, subdivision names do not have to be identified in the legal description nor is it indexed on the Recorder’s site. You would have to know the lot numbers for city lots and then try to do a plat search - which would be on another part of their website. If you need assistance, please contact the Recorder's Office.

How can I locate my property boundary lines?

There are no county offices that provide this service. To determine your exact property lines you would need to hire a private surveyor.

The Engineer’s Office maintains a tax plat map which the Auditor’s Office uses for tax purposes. It is not survey quality but does provide a close approximation of property lines.

Any other maps or surveys that are on file would be held by the Engineer’s Office. 

Subdivision plats may also be helpful and they are recorded through the Recorder’s Office

How can I find out if past surveys of my property were completed?

Any surveys or plats that are on record for your property would be filed with the Engineer’s Office. 

Do I need a permit to build a fence on my property?

That would be a question for the building and zoning department of either your city or township or the county if you reside in the townships of Hanover, Lemon, Madison, Milford, Oxford, or Ross.

Butler County Department of Development's Building and Zoning Division.

Where do my property taxes go?

All property taxes remain local. However, every taxing district is unique in the amount collected.

The tax bill sent out by the Treasurer’s Office includes a breakdown of the annual tax distribution. Additionally, the Auditor’s Office maintains this information online throughout most of the tax year. To find it, search for your property and then find the link for 'Tax Distribution'.

How do I change my tax bill mailing address?
A change in tax bill mailing address must be made in writing to the Treasurer's Office. Please visit their website for details.
Do I need a permit to build a fence on my property?
That would be a question for the building and zoning department of either your city or township or the county if you reside in the townships of Hanover, Lemon, Madison, Milford, Oxford or Ross. 
Vendor's License
Who is required to obtain a Vendor's License?
As of September 1, 2012, there are now only two types of vendor licenses: County and Transient. A County Vendor License is required for selling taxable goods or services at a fixed 
location of business. A Transient Vendor License is for the sale of goods at various shows and 
markets throughout Ohio. These licenses are used for the collection of state sales tax. 
Vendors who have previously obtained a Service or Delivery Vendor's License do not need to 
purchase new licenses, and can file their sales taxes normally. This change affects 
only new vendor's license purchases.
What license is required for Internet sales?
Providing that the vendor maintains only one centralized location from which it makes sales, the 
vendor must obtain a County Vendor’s License. However, if the vendor travels with a stock of 
goods to other counties, the business must also obtain a Transient Vendor’s License.
Where do I find a list of unclaimed funds or excess proceeds?

This information is available on our website.

Does Butler County have an income/employer withholding tax?

No, Butler County does not have an income/employment withholding tax.

I worked for Butler County and need to get my Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) money. How do I do that?

Butler County does not have access to any OPERS employee accounts. Please contact OPERS member services at 866-673-7748.

I have an employee working in Ohio. How do I know what employer withholding taxes I am required to remit?

The State of Ohio has a program called 'The Finder' that will provide this information.

I’m looking for information on the Butler County annex tax?

This is a City of Hamilton tax. Please contact the city’s tax department at 513-785-7400 for more information.

Does my school district have an income tax? If so, how much is it and what is the school district number?

This information can easily be found using the Ohio Department of Taxation’s Finder tool

As an employer how do I remit or setup income/employer withholding taxes for my employees in Ohio? 
  • Cities and Villages – Most cities and villages do have an income tax withholding requirement for employers. Please contact each city/village directly to setup any income tax reporting.
  • School District and Ohio Income Tax – Please see the Ohio Department of Taxation's website for more information.
  • Townships – Townships do not have income tax; however, many townships have JEDDS or other forms of taxation an employer may be required to withhold. Please contact each township directly for further information.
I received a check from Butler County and I don’t know what it is for. Whom do I contact?

Please contact the Auditor's Finance Division at 513-887-3126 or by email.

I have questions about sales tax in Ohio. Can you help?

Sales and use tax information can  be found on the Ohio Department of Taxation's website.

Which roads in Butler County is the county responsible for maintaining?

Please see the Engineer's website for details on road maintenance within the county.

Homestead Exemption
Who qualifies for the Homestead Exemption?
The Homestead Exemption is available to any Ohio resident who: 
  • Owns and lives in the home as their primary residence.
  • Qualifies by income verification.
  • Is at least 65 years old or turns 65 in the year for which they apply; or
  • Is totally and permanently disabled as of Jan. 1 of the year they apply, as certified by a licensed physician or psychologist, or a state or federal agency; or
  • Is the surviving spouse of a person who was receiving the exemption at the time of death, and where the surviving spouse was at least age 59 on the date of death; or
  • Is the surviving spouse of a public service officer killed in the line of duty; or
  • Regardless of income, is an honorably discharged Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who has received a total and permanent (100%) disability rating or is receiving compensation at the 100% rate based on individual unemployability for a service-connected disability or combination of service-connected disabilities from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
What is the benefit?
The Homestead Exemption allows qualifying senior citizens, disabled persons, and surviving spouses to reduce their property tax burden by shielding up to $26,200 of the value of their home from taxation. The savings varies by taxing district but averages around $360 per year across Butler County. The exemption is limited to the “homestead,” which Ohio law defines as an owner’s dwelling, including up to one acre of adjacent land.

Qualifying disabled Veterans and surviving spouses of public service officers may shield up to $52,300 of the value of their home from taxation. The savings averages around $700 per year.
What is the income limit?

The maximum allowable income for those eligible beginning the 2023 tax year is $36,100 (2022 Ohio tax return).  The  maximum allowable income increases for the 2024 tax year to $38,600 (2023 Ohio tax return). If applying, refer to Line 3 of your income tax return and add Line 11 (business income) of your Ohio Schedule A.

Total income is the combined income of the owner and the owner's spouse if legally married.

If yo do not file Ohio income taxes, you will be asked to produce a federal income tax return, or complete form DTE105H.

There is no income limit for qualifying disabled Veterans or surviving spouse of public service officers killed in the line of duty.

What is counted as income?

OAGI is Ohio Adjusted Gross Income and is found on line 3 of the Ohio income tax return. Additions and deductions are applied to Federal Adjusted Gross Income to arrive at OAGI. OAGI generally does not include Social Security.

Effective for tax year 2020 for real property and tax year 2021 for manufactured homes, the definition of "income" has been changed for the purpose of determining eligibility for the Homestead Exemption. The new definition is described as "Modified Adjusted Gross Income" (MAGI). Modified Adjusted Gross Income is OAGI plus any business income that has been deducted in computing OAGI on line 11 of Ohio Individual Income Tax Schedule A. This business income must now be included in the income calculation used to determine eligibility for the Homestead Exemption.

Does the income limitation include Social Security?
Generally, Social Security benefits do not count as income for the Homestead Exemption.
Is there a deadline or filing period?

Applications for the Homestead Exemption may be filed beginning the first Monday in January, and must be received by the Auditor’s Office no later than December 31st of each year.

A photo copy of a picture ID for proof of age is required. You may attach a copy of your driver's license, passport, or Ohio ID to your application.
Dog License
Where can I license in-person?
Licensing is available at the following locations; however, it's important to know you will still receive your tag in the mail:
  • Ace Hardware, 4185 Tonya Trl, Liberty Twp, OH, 45011
  • Ace Hardware, 7852 Cincinnati Dayton Rd, West Chester, OH, 45069
  • Al-Joe's Pet and Garden Center, 173 N Brookwood Ave, Hamilton, OH, 45013
  • Animal Friends Humane Society, 1820 Princeton Rd, Hamilton, OH, 45013
  • Butler County Auditor, 130 High St, 3rd Fl, Hamilton, OH, 45011
  • Butler County Dog Warden, 513-887-7297dogwarden@butlersheriff.org
What do I do if I found a lost pet?
If you have found a lost dog, you can search online for the owner using the tag number. If you cannot find a match or the pet owner has not made their contact information public, please contact the Homesafe 24/7 Team at 1-877-239-6072, option 1.
How much is the online processing fee for credit card and debit card payments?
The processing fee is 2.65% plus $.25 per transaction.
I did not receive my tag.
If you selected a tag and did not receive it (please allow 30 business days for your order to arrive), please contact our office at 513-785-6767 or via email.
My pet lost their tag. How can I get a new one?
You can order a replacement tag online by logging into your account and selecting the 'My Pets' page. Under the licensing section, click 'Order Replacement License Tag'. You can also call our office at 513-785-6767 to place an order. The cost is $5.00.
The etching on the tag has worn off.
DocuPet takes pride in the quality of the tags, connectors, and etching. They stand by their tags and offer a one-year guarantee on the legibility of the details etched onto the back of every tag. If the etching has worn off within a year of purchase, or you require a replacement tag or connector due to an issue, please contact our offfice by calling 513-785-6767 or by email. Please provide a photo showing the issue you encountered as well as your contact information.
How do I notify you that my pet passed away?
We are sorry for your loss. You can update a pet's profile via your online account or call our office at 513-785-6767 so that we can update your record.
My pet is no longer with me, but I'm still receiving renewal reminders.
You can update a pet's profile via your online account or call our office at 513-785-6767 so that we can update your record. 
My pet is a service animal.
Please call our office at 513-785-6767.
My pet has been designated a dangerous dog.
Please call our office. Once our team verifies your dog's designation, you will be able to renew online in future years.
Does my license transfer if I am moving?
Your current license may not be valid in the new community your are moving to. Please get in touch with the pet licensing provider in the new community in order to find out more information. Also, please be sure to update your address by logging into your online account and navigating to your 'Profile Settings' page.  
I do not want to receive promotional emails from DocuPet. How can I opt-out?
You can opt-out of promotional emails by logging in to your account and then going to your 'Profile Settings' under 'Account'. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and unclick the box that says, "I want to receive marketing communications from DocuPet."
Where can I get a copy of my house plans or blueprints?

Unfortunately, building plans are not routinely kept by any government office for more than a couple years. A set is usually provided to the original owner but can become lost or destroyed over time. If you have a recently built home, you might reach out to your city, township, or perhaps the County Building & Zoning Department

The Recorder's Office maintains deed information for each property in the county.  Historical information about homes could be found there. 

Board of Revision (BOR)
What if I think the appraised value is too high?
The appraised value, which may be updated annually in some circumstances, is an important part of the property tax calculation. If you feel the appraised value is too high, you may file a complaint with the Board of Revision. Filing a BOR complaint entitles you to a hearing before the three-member Board of Revision. At the hearing, you may present information such as recent appraisals or current sales data for similar properties in your neighborhood to support your complaint.
How often can I file an appeal with the BOR?
Owners may file once every three years between January 1 and March 31 on a property.
Is there a  limit to the dollar amount of the appeal?
There is no limit to the dollar amount a property's value can be changed with an appeal.
What if I do not agree with the BOR decision?
You have 30 days from the date of the decision letter to file DTE Form 4 Notice of Appeal with either the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals or the Court of Common Pleas. Please note that you must also file a copy of the Notice of Appeal with the Board of Revision.
Deed Transfer
What are the current conveyance fees?
The conveyance fee is $3.00 per thousand of the sale price (round up to the next hundred) and $.50 per parcel being transferred.

The minimum fees are:
  • Real Estate: $3.00 plus parcel fee
  • Manufactured Home: $1.00 plus parcel fee
Fees are accepted by cash or check only. 
Who should the check be made payable to for conveyance fees?
Checks are made payable to Butler County Auditor.
How are transfers accepted by your office?
We will accept transfers by mail, in person, and e-files. The DTE Form 100 or 100EX must be filled out completely. Also, there must be a valid legal description attached on the deed being submitted for transfer. Prior to submitting the deed, contact the Engineer’s Office at 513-867-5744 to have them preapprove the legal description.
Can I use conveyance forms from another county?
Yes, as long as it is the current revised form issued by the Ohio Department of Taxation. 
How can I change the name on my deed?

In order to change any name on a property a new legal document (i.e. deed, affidavit, etc.) must be presented to the Auditor’s Office indicating the name change. We suggest that you contact a real estate attorney to help you with this process to make sure the deed is executed correctly. Once the deed is drawn up it will be brought to the Auditor’s Office along with a completed DTE Form 100 or 100EX and the correct fees. Once our part is done it is then recorded with the Recorder’s Office.

Contact the Recorder’s Office to find out their requirements and fees at 513-887-3196.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?
Deeds are held by the Recorder’s Office.
What can be done to protect against title fraud?
The Recorder's Office offers a free service on their website called Fraudsleuth. It is a fraud detection tool that monitors property transactions in the Recorder's Office.  You can sign up to receive email alerts whenever a document is recorded under your name.
Why don't I see a property transfer date on the Auditor's website?
Our records only go back to 1993. If a transfer date is not listed then you will have to search the title on file with the Recorder’s Office and their records only go back electronically to 1987. Anything older and you would need to research the books that are located in their office.
Do you have transfer on death forms available?
The Auditor’s Office does not provide or create Transfer on Death Affidavits. You would need to contact a real estate attorney to assist you in this matter. Once you have the affidavit completed then it will be presented to the county for processing.
GIS Maps
Looking for lot dimensions? You need a tax map or a plat of survey.
The Engineer's Office offers them online. 
Do you need to know what zoning regulations are on a property?
Please visit Building & Zoning to view zoning maps.
Questions about FEMA's flood zone regulations?
Please visit Building & Zoning for information.